Sunday, October 5, 2008

Can, Can... Can you Can the grape juice?

My wife can!!!

From CutlerClan Pics

Yup! It's something my family used to do when I was really little. My Grandma and Grandpa had a mini farm in their backyard that seemed absolutely huge to me then, and there we'd pick our grapes. Since their moving out of that house, my family hasn't really done the grape juice thing (that I remember), so this was a neat, nostalgic experience! Alene's parents were kind enough to provide all the tools and grapes!

I wasn't able to help all that much, being busy with all the homework and projects I've got going, but, I did get to do one batch all by myself! Alene started washing the grapes one late night while I labored on a project. She finished that, but I was still banging my head against the wall, so she set out to get us some canning jars. Visiting grocery stores just after midnight was hit and miss for just getting inside, let alone actually finding what we wanted. The first store, Maceys, only had half-gallon sized jars, all the shelves for the normal quart sized jars were large and empty. Out of the 5-6 stores she went to next she got into 3-4 of them, but all of them were sold out of any and all canning jars (except the half-pint sized)! No good! So she returned to the first store and got the half-gallon sized jars.

From CutlerClan Pics

Canning took a long time with our limited experience and small stove top, but we got through 5 batches and 12 jars + some! YuuuummmmmmY! This grape juice is way good! So delicious! I'm excited to have it for the next year or so! (that is, we'll try to make it last that long... don't know that it will, but we see!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This brings back memories of our grape canning experiences--good times. I am impressed that you are doing canning in a student apartment! Way to go Kelv and Alene! Dad

TC said...

I am way impressed! I love that grape juice. I don't miss canning it, but I sure miss drinking it! Good job you two!

Mallory said...

that is SO awesome! Your skills amaze me. Yay for having a blog, I'm glad I stumbled on yours.