Saturday, March 20, 2010

BYU Splash and Dash


Over the last 3 weeks we've been strapping up our laces and goggles in preparation for the BYU Splash and Dash!
Kelv and I have been training for a triathlon in April and Kelv convinced me that doing the Splash and Dash would be good practice.

We decided to do the Team Event which meant I would be swimming a mile (that's 66 times across the pool just so you know!) and Kelv would be running a 10K. That is something he has never done, and I haven't really swam competitively since I graduated from high school 7 years ago, and had a baby a year ago, so we were excited for the challenge!

Our goal going into the race was to finish. Whew! We achieved our goal! And actually, we did better than that too! We ended up getting 4th in our heat and then 7th overall. Hurray!(Too bad that 2nd heat was fast too!) We're pretty pleased with those results and figured they weren't too bad for two people who have only trained for about 3 weeks! I finished my mile in about 26 mins and Kelv did his 10K in about 46 mins. That's 7 min miles for Kelv! I'm glad Kelv whipped it out so we could finish so high in the ranking!

In the end it was a lot of fun being able to achieve something together as a team/couple, and a big shout out thanks to my parents who were kind enough to watch little Camden while we competed!

5 comments:

Stacie said...

Of course you did fabulously! I have always been impressed that you were so stellar in the 50, but if coach needed you to swim the 500, you still worked it!

Robin said...

So fun! I'm so glad you guys did this event. I love seeing families with kids keep so active.

hilary w said...

Way to go you guys! I am very impressed that you did so well, even with little training. I wish I could swim a mile!

Megan said...

hey! how are you? love seeing your blog! your family looks wonderful! good job on the triathalon. i did a sprint one a few years back and it was loads of fun. are you still in provo? for how long? still working as a rn? good luck with everything!

Scott & Jess said...

Hey Kelv, remember me? Its great to see you have such a beautiful family.